Sally (Gross) Herring
Sally (Gross) Herring
For the past decade, Ms. Herring's special interest has been appeals. Her appellate accomplishments include Walker-White v. Pezzullo-Burgs (non-economic damages), Rodriguez-Cespedes v. Creative Leasing (long-term lessor statute), Barbakow v. US Air, Inc. (federal preemption), Rubio v. State Farm (first party bad faith), United States v. Hernandez (sentencing), United States v. Pierre (guilty plea). As well, Ms. Herring has won many per curiam rulings on behalf of our clients.
Ms. Herring's unusual background as a law enforcement officer, clinical social worker and educator no doubt contributed to the University of Miami's decision to award her a full Dean's Honor Scholarship. She graduated magna cum laude, 2nd in a class of 347. While in law school, Ms. Herring served on the Law Review and founded the Badge and Gavel Society, a mentoring organization for law enforcement officers becoming lawyers. She was law clerk to the nationally admired and respected Honorable Peter T. Fay of the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Consistent with her love of writing and diverse interests, Ms. Herring has published articles of importance to lawyers, law enforcers, and social workers.
Currently of counsel to the Firm, Ms. Herring provides outstanding trial support and appellate services.
- Florida, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1995
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida
- J.D. magna cum laude - 1993
- Barry University, Miami Shores, Florida
- M.S.W. - 1983
- Florida International University, Miami, Florida
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- "Preparing Tortious Interference Claims", Trial, The Association of Trial Lawyers of America's Magazine, June, 1995 pp. 28, 1995
- "Innkeeper Liability for Sexual Assaults", Trial, The Association of Trial Lawyers of America's Magazine, November, 1994
- "Cops, Choirpractice and Another Chance for Healing", University of Miami Law Review, 47:4 P 1079, March, 1993
- Co-Author, "The Florida Law Enforcement Officer"
- Women Becoming Cops: Developmental Issues and Solutions, Police Chief, January, p. 32, 1984
- Women Becoming Cops: Developmental Issues and Solutions (Reprinted with permission, Criminal Justice Annual Editions), Dushkin Publishing Group, 1986/1987
- "Counseling Ins and Outs: A Guide for Law Enforcement Officers", Published Privately, July 1995
- University of Miami, Legal Writing Program Instructor, 1995 - 1996
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar
- Florida Bar - Appellate Section
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers
Past Employment Positions
- Law Office of Sally Alyce Gross, 1995 - Present
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, Law Clerk to the Hon. Peter T. Fay, 1993 - 1994
- Miami-Dade Community College, Southeast Florida Institute of Criminal Justice, Associate Dean, 1982 - 1990
- Miami Children's Hospital, Social Work Intern and Staff Social Worker, 1981 - 1983
- Metro-Dade Police Department, Police Officer, 1974 - 1980